Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A little more info...

Today I listened to the first half of "The Sirens of Time" so expect my first review in a day or two. In preparation for reviewing these earliest Doctor Who releases from Big Finish, I decided to pull out this:


and review the history of how this whole range began. It's been several years since I read this and I didn't remember the type being so small!

Anyway, I also wanted to give you all a little background on my "fandom" of Doctor Who. I have been a fan for over 30 years. My first exposure to the program was when I was around 7-9 years old, and I caught the last 2-3 minutes of "Full Circle" Part 2. That was enough for me to briefly see the inside of the TARDIS, see the TARDIS disappear, and then see poor Romana get bitten by one of the large fruit spiders. Cue the sting and theme music, and it's pretty much been my favorite TV show ever since.

I would say I am definitely a pretty die hard fan, but I also know there are others who are more extreme about it than me. I don't own all the DVDs that have been put out (I do own most, and will probably eventually get them all, but I don't feel compelled to immediately get the stories I don't care for). As a kid, I definitely bought and read a ton of the Target novelizations, but never got into the New Adventures, Missing Adventures, or any other book ranges that came out after the 1989 cancellation. I haven't seen any of the missing episodes via fan reconstructions. I've never been to a convention (though I think it would be fun if one was ever close by).

As for the classic TV series, my favorite Doctors would go something like 4, 3, 5, 2, 6, 7, 1. I thought Paul McGann was great in the TV Movie, but think the movie as a whole was pretty bad. I am not much of a fan of the Hartnell era (with some exceptions). I like the Troughton era better, and really wish more of his stories would be rediscovered. I also think the show's quality took a sharp downward turn during the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy eras, though there are still some nuggets in them that I enjoy. Big Finish definitely helped rehabilitate my opinions on both #6 and #7 to different degrees. More on that later.

As for the blog, I hope it will be fun, and think it wouldn't be a bad idea to do some sort of writing just because I don't really do it very often. The bulk of the entries should be reviews of the stories one by one, but I may add some other chatty entries like this one from time to time, though I'll stick mainly to Doctor Who discussion. I am a big fan of the "new" series (if 7 years old can still be "new") and will definitely have things to say when new episodes of that air.

Look for the first review soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment